New Mexico State University Carlsbad was established in 1950 as the state’s first community college and was named the Carlsbad Instructional Center. Ten years later, the center was renamed as a branch campus of New Mexico State University. In 1980 the campus was relocated to a new building, which was expanded with an additional wing of classrooms in 1987 and again in 1996 by the addition of a computer facilities wing. Throughout its history, the campus has been responsive to the changing academic needs of the region and the immediate Carlsbad community. It has offered courses which apply directly to the university’s Las Cruces campus for graduation at the baccalaureate level.