Step 1: Apply for Admission and Financial Aid
- Student Services and Financial Aid, Room 111. Admissions: 234-9222, Financial Aid: 234-9230
- Apply for admission at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nmsu-u or by downloading and completing this application.. Applications are also available in Student Services, room 111.
- Send official high school or GED and college transcripts to NMSU Carlsbad, Attn: Student Services Office, 1500 University Dr., Carlsbad, NM 88220. Students who have completed 30 credit hours or more (45 quarter hours) at a university other than NMSU are not required to submit high school or GED transcripts. Apply for financial aid online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Visit the Financial Aid Office, room 111, for questions about veteran’s benefits, if applicable.
Step 2: Complete Placement Testing
Testing & Assessment, Room 221, 234-9322 Special Needs, Room 107, 234-9321 TEAM Center, Room 253, 234-9315
- Call Testing & Assessment Services to sign up for the Accuplacer test*.
*Compass may be waived for students who have completed the ACT within the last year; are transferring in math, reading or English courses; or pursuing certain vocational programs. Talk to an academic advisor in the Counseling & Student Develop- ment Center for more information. Compass Testing will be held April 1 through August 29 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. in Room 221.
Step 3: Register and Pay
Counseling & Student Development Center, Room 107, 234-9337 Business Office, Room 108, 234-9200
- Create a myNMSU account at https://my.nmsu.edu.
- Meet with an academic advisor in Room 107 to select classes and register.
- Pay tuition and fees by mail, phone, in person, or online at http://pay.nmsu.edu.
Step 4: Begin!
Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore, Room 105, 234-9240 Learning Technology Center, Room 211, 234-9263
- Sign up for New Student Orientation at the Counseling & Student Development Center.
- Get your student ID in the Business Office, room 108.
- Purchase textbooks and supplies.
- Attend a Canvas workshop in the Learning Technology Center.
Additional steps as needed
- Make arrangements for classroom accommodations with the Special Needs Services Coordinator, Room 107.
- Set up a tutoring schedule in the TEAM Center, Room 253, if enrolled in a tutoring class.
- Apply for work study jobs if awarded work study funds.
- Check your financial aid status and award through your myNMSU account.
Terms and Conditions of Course Registration
By enrolling in classes at NMSU Carlsbad, a student makes a financial commitment to pay the tuition and fee charges associated with that enrollment. The enrollment action constitutes a financial obligation between the student and NMSU that all proceeds of this agreement will be used for educational purposes and constitute an educational loan pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 523(a) (8).
The following terms and conditions are financial requirements of each student’s education related to his/her registration for a term at NMSU. The payment of tuition and fees is the obligation of the student. By processing a course registration either via the Web or by submitting a course request card to an academic student registration area, a student acknowledges they have read and agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Registration constitutes a financial agreement between you (“Student”) and New Mexico State University (“NMSU”). Tuition, fees and other charges you incur, including but not limited to housing, meal plans, and bookstore charges (“Charges”), shall be added to your student account and are considered a loan for educational benefit
- Once you formally register for classes, you assume the responsibility for understanding New Mexico State University’s official policies concerning schedule changes, satisfactory academic progress and the financial policies of the University as described in the ‘New Mexico State University Undergraduate Catalog’ or ‘New Mexico State University Graduate Catalog’ for the term of enrollment.
- Installment payment arrangements will be automatic with a non-refundable deferred payment fee for any Charges not paid in full within ten (10) business days of the start of the term. For specific dates, please check the ‘Schedule of Classes’ for the enrollment term.
- Charges may be prepaid at any time in whole or in part without premium or penalty.
- Charges left unpaid for prior terms may result in disenrollment from your current term courses unless payment arrangements are made with the University Accounts Receivable prior to the disenrollment date. For that specific date, check the ‘Schedule of Classes’ for the enrollment term.
- In the event that you become delinquent in paying Charges or default in repaying Charges you will be liable for collection fees and any other costs incurred by New Mexico State to collect any monies due from you.
- Students withdrawing after the stated refund dates remain liable for full tuition and fee charges. Collection costs incurred in the event of delinquency shall be at the expense of the Student.
- NMSU accepts payment via student financial aid and third party sponsorship, but the responsibility for payment remains with the student. It is your responsibility to keep track of your account balance and any funding sources. If financial aid is not granted or if third party sponsors do not pay within a reasonable period, the student will be required to pay the full amount due.
- If the New Mexico State University prevails in a lawsuit to collect on this financial obligation, Student will pay NMSU’s court costs, collection agency costs, and attorney’s fees in an amount the court finds to be reasonable.
- You consent to receive email notifications to your @nmsu.edu email address of the availability of an E-Bill (Electronic Billing Statement) and consent to review billing statement information on NMSU Web Payment System.