The natural sciences comprise academic disciplines concerned with the study of the life and the physical processes that affect our world including:
Our mission as NMSU Carlsbad science instructors is to prepare students to live in a scientifically and technically driven society. We do this by offering courses that meet the various needs of students, including different branches of science, different delivery of classes and different degree program requirements.
Although science areas vary greatly on the particular topics covered, students completing the required eight hours of laboratory science should meet common learning outcomes:
- Students will be able to read and write coherently concerning scientific topics.
- Students will improve their critical thinking skills.
- Students will be able to apply the scientific method.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of fundamental science concepts.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the connection between science and their own lives.
- Students will understand the empirical nature of science.
The Associate of Science degree is designed for students who are interested in completing a Bachelor’s of Science degree with a variety of majors and minors. This degree differs from the Associate of Arts degree in the heavy concentration of math and science course required for any Bachelor’s of Science degree. This degree meets all the New Mexico Common Core requirements necessary to complete a bachelor’s degree.