The social sciences comprise academic disciplines concerned with the study of the social life of human groups and individuals including:
- Criminal Justice
The Social Sciences Department at New Mexico State University Carlsbad wants to provide students with a holistic understanding and critical appreciation of the cultural, political, social and economic elements of society. The department’s curriculum presents a broad-based foundation in the social sciences. It takes an interdisciplinary approach to understanding, analyzing and critiquing the geographic, historical, social, political, economic and cultural conditions.
- Emphasizes the understanding of cultural diversity and analytical thinking.
- Provides a personalized learning environment for students.
- Prepares students for continuing education in the social sciences and allied fields.
- Assists students in discerning appropriate careers through advising.
- To provide service to the community and the state in order to enhance the quality of life and to improve the cultural and educational opportunities of the people of New Mexico.
- Expresses its strong commitment to public service by collaborating with agencies and organizations to provide students with service learning projects and developing and/or directing public forums on timely social, political or economical issues.
- Foster the growth and development of faculty through tuition waivers for college courses, attendance at professional meetings, participation in workshops and sabbaticals.
- Criminal Justice is designed for students who are seeking employment in the law enforcement field or wish to transfer to a four-year school and complete a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or law enforcement. The Criminal Justice degree plan is broadly interdisciplinary in nature, embracing the study of the humanities, law and behavioral and social sciences.
- Heritage Interpretation (Associate of Arts – Certificate) are designed to prepare students for service as park interpreters and technicians, or for any field in which knowledge of cultural and natural heritage of the Southwest would be useful.
- Social Services is designed to prepare students for careers in social service or community health agencies as paraprofessionals. Because of the large General Education component, the degree also prepares the student for successful transition into a variety of baccalaureate degree majors.