ABE prides itself on the premise that “ABE Changes Lives” by providing educational opportunities to all individuals in the Eddy County community and the surrounding areas.
Our primary goal is to provide programs in, GED preparation, courses in English as a Second Language (ESL), and basic skills development.
In collaboration with New Mexico State University-Carlsbad, we serve as a bridge to the academic and vocational programs at New Mexico State UniversityCarlsbad and statewide post secondary education.
Free classes are offered at seven learning centers throughout the county on a first-come, first-served basis. We offer
- ESL – English as a Second Language
- GED – High School Equivalency diploma
- U.S. Citizenship preparation
- Basic Reading Program & First-Language Literacy
- Practical Living Skills/Work Readiness
- Basic Computer Literacy
Instruction and workbooks are absolutely FREE!
- Registration from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
- NMSU Carlsbad 1500 University Drive room 207
- Call us at 575 234-9250; 575 234-9252 and 575 234-9253
- Registration requires a new student orientation and a pre-assessment.
Letter grades are not given; students who complete 80 percent or more of the class sessions will be awarded a certificate of attendance. Students are post tested after 40 hours to measure learning gains and are awarded certificates of level completion.
New student orientation, placement, and advising
Students enrolling in ABE for the first time and/ or who have been out of the program for more than six months are required to sign up for new student orientation. These sessions are scheduled on a regular basis. New students enrolling in ABE for the first time and students, who have been out of the program for six months or longer, are assessed in order to be placed into their correct learning level. There are no grades and no one can fail!