Step 1: Apply for Admission and Financial Aid
Student Services and Financial Aid, Room 111. Admissions: 234-9222, Financial Aid: 234-9230
- Apply for admission at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nmsu-u. Applications are also available in Student Services, room 111.
- Send official high school or GED and college transcripts to NMSU Carlsbad, Attn: Student Services Office, 1500 University Dr., Carlsbad, NM 88220. Students who have completed 30 credit hours or more (45 quarter hours) at a university other than NMSU are not required to submit high school or GED transcripts. Apply for financial aid online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Visit the Financial Aid Office, room 111, for questions about veteran’s benefits, if applicable.
Step 2: Complete Placement Testing
Testing & Assessment, Room 221, 234-9322 Special Needs, Room 107, 234-9321 TEAM Center, Room 253, 234-9315
- Call Testing & Assessment Services to sign up for the Compass test*.
- If needed, talk to the Special Needs Coordinator about testing accommodations for students with disabilities.
- Review test prep material in the TEAM Center or view sample questions at http://www.act.org/compass/student.
*Compass may be waived for students who have completed the ACT within the last year; are transferring in math, reading or English courses; or pursuing certain vocational programs. Talk to an academic advisor in the Counseling & Student Development Center for more information. Compass Testing will be held April 1 through August 29 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. in Room 221.
Step 3: Register and Pay
Counseling & Student Development Center, Room 107, 234-9337 Business Office, Room 108, 234-9200
- Create a myNMSU account at https://my.nmsu.edu.
- Meet with an academic advisor in Room 107 to select classes and register.
- Pay tuition and fees by mail, phone, in person, or online at http://pay.nmsu.edu.
Step 4: Begin!
Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore, Room 105, 234-9240 Learning Technology Center, Room 211, 234-9263
- Sign up for New Student Orientation at the Counseling & Student Development Center.
- Get your student ID in the Business Office, room 108.
- Purchase textbooks and supplies.
- Attend a Canvas workshop in the Learning Technology Center.
Additional steps as needed
- Make arrangements for classroom accommodations with the Special Needs Services Coordinator, Room 107.
- Set up a tutoring schedule in the TEAM Center, Room 253, if enrolled in a tutoring class.
- Apply for work study jobs if awarded work study funds.
- Check your financial aid status and award through your myNMSU account.