FAQs for Veterans

Am I eligible to receive the Montgomery GI Bill®?

To find out if you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill® you may call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

I am eligible for the GI Bill®. What do I do next?

If you are eligible for the GI Bill® please come visit the Student Services/VA office at NMSU Carlsbad in room 111, or contact us at (575) 234-9221 / 234-9220. We will help you apply for your benefits and provide more information.

How soon should I start the application process to receive my benefits?

It is recommended that you begin the application process early, since it can take some time to finish.

I have used my GI Bill® at another school, but I want to start taking classes at NMSU Carlsbad. Do I still need to visit the VA/Student Services office?

Yes, we need to process a transfer form in order to certify your attendance.

If I drop a class will it affect my VA Benefits?

Dropping a class can affect each student differently. It is important that every student contact the VA/Student Services Office any time there is a change to your schedule.

I am currently getting funding from the GI Bill®. Can I also receive financial aid at the same time?

You may apply for financial aid while receiving GI Bill® benefits. To apply for grants and loans visit the FAFSA website at www.fafsa.ed.gov and then follow up with the Financial Aid Office within 5 – 10 business days.

I have been attending class for two months, why haven’t I received any money?

If at any time you think you are not receiving the proper amount of money or you find you are not receiving any money at all contact us immediately so that we may research the issue for you.

Is it true that I have to contact the VA every month in order to keep receiving my payments for the semester?

This is the case for some students on the GI Bill®. Call us to find out if this applies to you. If you know you need to do this, but forgot how: Call 1-877-823-2378 on the last day of each month.

I applied for the GI Bill® and have started taking classes. How and when should I expect my first payment?

Usually the VA pays every month for the previous month attended and usually students choose what type of payment (either check or automatic deposit) they want during the application process. Expect a payment by the middle of the month.

I am in the Guard. Can I receive my Tuition Assistance and my GI Bill® at the same time?

Yes. But make sure to research this before you do it because in some cases it may be better to use them separately.

Can I apply for the GI Bill as a non-degree seeking student?

You can apply for the GI Bill® as a non-degree seeking student as long as you change to degree seeking before your third semester. For questions on changing to degree-seeking, contact the Student Services office.

I’m still Active Duty but I will be getting out soon. How soon should I start applying for my GI Bill® benefits?

It is okay to apply early however we recommend that you wait to use your benefits until you separate from the military.

Is there a certain number of credits that I need to take each semester in order to receive my GI Bill® benefits?

There is no minimum requirement for the number of classes you take; however, the amount of funding you receive does depend on how many classes you take.

NMSU Carlsbad VA Office

575-234-9226 or 575-234-9233 (fax)

Email us

Location: NMSU Carlsbad Main Building, Room 107

Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8am-6pm and Friday, 8am-5pm