The instructions below will guide students through the process of transferring to NMSU Carlsbad from another academic institution. If you have never attended another academic institution, you will need to refer the First-Time College Student page.
Select each step below for details
Step 1: Applying for Admission
- Create an account to submit an online application (Note: this account is for Admissions only)
- Submit an online application. Select “Carlsbad” as your campus. The $20 application fee will be waived.
After you have submitted your application, you will receive a letter of congratulations from NMSU Carlsbad. You will be assigned an identification number that is referred to as your Aggie ID. Once you have this number, you may create your myNMSU* account.
*The myNMSU account is not the same as the one you created when you submitted an application. The myNMSU account will be used to register for classes, check financial aid status, etc.
Step 2: Request Official Transcripts
1) Have official transcripts (from high school, GED®, HiSET®, and/or previous college(s) sent to: email@example.com OR NMSU Carlsbad, 1500 University Dr., Carlsbad, NM, 88220. We accept official transcriptions in print and digital format.
Official transcripts must come directly from the institution where you obtained your diploma. If the document is delivered to us from anyone, other than the institution, it is not considered an official transcript.
Step 3: Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships
Processing of financial aid takes around 4-6 weeks. It is recommended, but not required, that you take the Accuplacer placement test while you wait for processing.
1) Visit: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/
Note: You may be asked to provide a variety of information. Click here for tips that may help you successfully complete the form.
You may qualify for additional financial aid of scholarships, such as:
Step 4: Complete NMSU Respects
As a member of the New Mexico State University community, it’s important that you understand your rights and responsibilities regarding sexual violence prevention and awareness. Providing you with this information is part of a federal law known as the Campus SaVE act. You must complete NMSU Respects before registering. Please take time to read through the presentation carefully and with thoughtful consideration.
- Sign in to https://my.nmsu.edu.
- Click on the Student folder under the Launchpad (bottom left) then on Registration.
- In the Search by Term box, select the current term from the drop down menu then click on submit.
- Select Look Up Classes.
- On the next page, select ENGL – English in the Subject box at the top.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Section Search button (far left).
- You should see a statement in red font that says you have not completed the sexual violence and prevention orientation. Click where instructed to start the presentation.
- Complete the 5-question quiz.
Step 5: Meet with an advisor
To schedule an appointment, visit our Online Scheduler, call the Student Services office at (575) 234-9225, or visit the NMSU Carlsbad campus at 1500 University Drive (Room 111), Carlsbad, NM 88220.
Step 6: Get Your Parking Permit, Student ID Card, and Textbooks
Visit the business office, room 108, to get your parking permit and student ID card.
You may purchase textbooks and supplies in the Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore, Room 105.
Step 7: Pay NMSU
Payment Due Dates and Options
Payment is due in full by September 15 for the fall semester, February 15 for the spring semester, and June 15 for the summer session. Those who wish to utilize the payment plan option will be charged a fee of $10 to accounts not paid in full by the 15th of each month during the term.